The Dutch pianist Martin Kaptein approaches music as a means of exploring the deepest questions of human existence. He was a student of Elena Golovinskaya, Michail Markov, Frank van de Laar and Vitaly Samoshko, who helped him to achieve a unique approach to sound.
As Martin finished his Bachelor and Master studies he discovered a deep connection between music and philosophy. After winning several international competitions, most notably the St. Cecilia Piano Competition (Portugal, 2015), Martin began to perform internationally. Martin often introduces his pieces with a brief explanation of their philosophical ideas, making them not only technical exercises but emotional and intellectual journeys.
Today, Martin continues to perform and explore the connections between music and philosophy: In the music of the composer Alexander Scriabin he found a unique match, and often makes Scriabin’s music the centerpiece of his performances. One of Martin’s projects that unites music and philosophy is the Scriabin Club, a place where conversations about art and life happen. In November 2022 Martin collaborated with the Scriabin Society of America in organization of a festival commemorating Scriabin’s 150th anniversary.
Next to performing, Martin is also a music teacher and often finds himself giving lectures and presentations. He has also interest in a wide range of cultures and speaks many different languages. As if that was not enough Martin also is highly interested in Science and Technology, and in his free time enjoys working on IT projects.
Martin is currently based in Bolzano, Italy.
Studies and Degrees
- From age of 5 student of Elena Golovinskaya, private piano lessons.
- 2008 to 2015 Gymnasium (general qualification for university entrance (Abitur)), average grade of 1.8, Missionsgymnasium St.Antonius Bardel, Germany.
- 2015 - 2020 Bachelor Classical Music Performance Piano, ArtEZ conservatory, The Netherlands, student of Michail Markov and Frank van de Laar.
- 2020 - 2022 Masters of Music, Fontys conservatory Tilburg, the Netherlands, student of Vitaly Samoshko. Graduated cum laude.
Competitions and Prizes
- 2010 3rd prize “International Piano Competition” in Enschede, The Netherlands
- 2012 2nd prize international EPTA competition in Belgium.
- 2012 1st prize “International piano competition virtuosi per Musica di Pianoforte” in the Czech Republic.
- 2015 1st prize in de “St. Cecilia International Pianocompetition” in Porto, Portugal.
- 2016 first price Vught klassiek competition in the Netherlands
- 2017 first price Ulvenhart klassiek competition in the Netherlands
- 2017 first price International Music festival in Loutraki, Greece
- 2017 Publieksprijs VriendenCultuurPrijs (price of public), Tilburg
- 2019 first price chamber music competition, Zwolle, The Netherlands
- 2020 finalist Grachtenfestival in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2022 Winner Fontys (Tilburg) internal conservatory competition.
Masterclasses and Festivals
- 2013 “International Music Festival” in Rhodos, Greece
- 2014 “International Music Academy” in Cremona, Italy
- 2015 Muziekfestival Hernen, The Netherlands
- 2016 “International Piano Festival” in Duzsniky, Poland
- 2017 “International Music Festival” in Athens, Greece
- 2019 Zomerfestival, Helvoirt, The Netherlands
- 2021 Fleisher Winter Academy Baltimore Piano Festival
- 2021 11th International Piano Masterclasses, Katowice, Poland
- 2021 Feuerwerk Piano Academy, Einbeck, Germany
- 2022 PianoLab, Belgium
- 2022 Online Scriabin 150 Festival in collaboration with the Scriabin Society of America
Other experience and interests
- Languages (English, German, Dutch, Russian, French and Italian).
- Founder and organizer of the Scriabin Club
- Philosophy (Orthodox Christianity and Chinese Philosophy).
- Technology (Programming, Open-Source projects and tutorials).
- Lectures (Presenting, teaching and exploring).
- Teaching and coaching (Piano and music theory lessons, language and life coaching).
- Performing concerts (Solo recitals, chamber music concerts and lecture recitals).
Updated 29 Mar 2023